Friday, September 4, 2015

Motivational Poster

Hellooooooooooooooooo everybody! How are you doing? I am doing good. Our current project is to create a motivational poster in Adobe Photoshop and I am really excited! In my last post, 'Personal Manifesto' I talked about the inspiring manifesto that is going on our poster. I hope you guys like this post!

For this project we have specific requirements for working in Photoshop and what our final product has to look like. I apologize in advance if my explanations of the technical stuff is confusing, but I'll try my best to describe them. So in Photoshop, most of the different things you do are separated into different layers. Layers are kind of like miniature work spaces that you can turn off and on (They are super helpful for when you have to edit!). 
Our layer requirements for this project are:

My images arranged but not with image adjustment layers.

  1. We need four images in our final product; three of personal symbols that we feel represent us (check out my last post for the pictures I will be using and why ;) and one portrait of our extremely gorgeous faces (because my face is just so fabulous :P).
  2. We also need two text layers. Text layers are layers with text in them (but I bet you figured it out ;). One of the layers needs to contain our personal manifesto and the other will have our  personal quotes.
But we can't forget about the design requirements now can we? Design requirements instruct us on what our posters have to look like. 
The design requirements are:

My text without colors or blending options (it does have kerning though).

  1.  All text in the poster must be kerned without blank spaces or holes and must fit across the entire section. Kerning is when you adjust the spacing and placement of text to make it visually appealing (practice your kerning skills here).
  2. The poster must contain a triadic color scheme. A triadic color scheme is a type of color scheme that contains three colors, one dominant and two harmonious accent colors (here is the color scheme creator we used).
  3. All the text layers must contain blending options such as strokes, outer or inner glows, drop shadows, and/or bevel and emboss (all the different Photoshop blending options here).
  4. Also all of the images need adjustment layers such as levels, curves, exposure, and/or color balance (all the different Photoshop image adjustment layers here).
So now this part is going to get confusing for those of you who don't know Photoshop because I will (attempt to) give you a step-by-step on how I did it.

Step 1:
The first thing I did was transcribe my manifesto (and quotes) from my Google Drive to Photoshop. Then I placed and kerned my text. This first part took a while because I had to shrink, stretch, and space all the lines of words so they looked perfect and flowed naturally.

Step 2:
The second thing I did was apply different blending options to my text layers to make it stand out and pop. The colors I used were FFA35D (Pale Orange), E5FB5C (Pale Yellow-Green), and 8957CE (Pale Blue-Purple). If you want to see the full palette click here.

Step 3:
Next, I opened all my pictures in Photoshop. Then I selected to the move tool and dragged each of them into the motivational poster document. Once I did that, I moved the pictures around until I got a layout that I liked.

Step 4:
Then, I added image adjustment layers to the images to match my color scheme (It took a lot of fine-tuning!).

Step 5:
Lastly, I saved the final product as a .jpeg!

My biggest challenge that I had with this project was working with all the different image adjustment layers. When you stack all the different layers on top of one another it poses a challenge if you want an effect to only apply to one layer. In the end I just had to merge my image layers with their intended adjustment layers. I think my overall product turned out better than what I had originally thought it would turn out like. One thing that I would do to improve it would be to include the blending option bevel and emboss somewhere in my final product. I really like the look of it and it make the different layers stand out more.

Well I hope you all liked that post! I will be posting again soon but until then, I shall write to you later.
Love your loyal writer who loves olive jokes/puns (you will find out what that means later... aren't I so cruel? :P),

- Kasiah Vercelli :) <3

My final product! Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment