Friday, September 18, 2015

Comedy Writing


Me and Maddie laughing GIF :)

Hello my beautiful Earthlings (or aliens...)! Do you like olives? "Olives are the funniest fruit, forever and always. Personally, I love everything thing that has to do with olives; olive the color, olive the name, the restaurant Olive Garden, olives the actual food, but you you know what the best thing that has to do with olives is? Olive jokes." That's the intro to my humorous monologue for our brand new project in GT! Interesting Fact About Kasiah: She LOVES acting. That's right folks, the weirdo science geek is also an actress. Did I blow your mind? Yes? No? Maybe? Well anyway, I love to act. I've been theater ever since I was a Kinder-gardener and starred in the school play in 2014 (That was the year I started this blog!). I am super excited about this project because we are writing and performing a humorous monologue. And laughing is fun. Very fun.

I think a sense of humor is an important character trait because it can usually say a lot about a person's personality. Another reason why it is an important aspect is that it can establish how that character will interact with other characters. However, effectively communicating a characters sense of humor is not always an easy task. Always run your work by others so that you can make sure that everyone understands the message or tone you are trying to convey.

Five tips I would give to someone else writing a humorous monologue are :

  1. Write about something you're interested in. Don't try to force anything, because it will show through in your work.
  2. Make sure the material is appropriate for your audience. For example, you shouldn't write like you are explaining something to a five-year-old if you will be presenting to an older crowd.
  3. Be sure to develop a main topic. Finding that one main thing that ties everything together is really important because without it, it will just sound random and will (most likely) confuse your audience.
  4. Also, be sure it's relatable! Be sure to use realistic situations and ideas in your piece so that people will understand.
  5. And now for my final tip. Drum Roll please...... T-I-M-I-N-G! Be sure that your timing and phrasing in your work makes sense. Timing is really important in the sense that it can make or break your joke(s).
Well I think that it's about that time where I have to say goodbye, but before I do that, I should probably show you my entire monologue instead of just some of it... so here ye go! Just a note, all of the punch lines are olive related and don't make as much sense written out on paper, but I assure you, when I post the actual finished video it will look and sound much better.

Olives: the funniest fruit, forever and always.

Personally, I love everything thing that has to do with olives; olive the color, olive the name, the restaurant Olive Garden, olives the actual food, but you you know what the best thing that has to do with olives is? Olive jokes.

What does the mommy olive say to the baby olives before bed? “O-love o-live you!” (I love all of you!).

What did the British olive say when he rolled off the table and fell to the floor? “Ol-ive!” (I’ll live!).

What did the the olive yell at the Brad Pitt movie premiere? “O-live Pit!” (I love Pitt!).

An olive walks into a bakery one day. “How many cookies would you like?” asks the baker. “O-live them!” (all of them) said the olive.

What John Legends song made top ten in Oliveland? Ol-ive me! (All of me!)

What is an olive’s favorite quote? “Olive long and prosper.”

Well folks, that’s ol-ive (all I’ve) got, so olive vior! (Au revoir!)



I wrote this monologue around the idea of olives because as you can probably tell, I love olives ;) I think that this monologue is funny because of all the puns. I really love puns (though I don't think of myself as very punny) and wanted to base my project around them. Also I love writing with witty word play so the whole process (including the acting :) was very fun to me.

Well I hope you all liked reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it and I will communicate with you all later (it may be telepathic communication... I wish ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment