Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Double Exposed Portraits

Hellooooooooo (Stampy Cat Voice)! This is Kasiah Vercelli writing to you from my GT classroom! Well all you frequent readers out there probably know that (I'm guessing there's not too many of you :P). This blog post is about our new photography project Double Exposed Portraits! Yay!

Photography is one of my favorite things ever, so these projects are my favorite ones every year in GT. I imagine not all of you know what portrait photography is so I will try to explain it as best as I can. Portrait photography is a type of photography that focuses on taking a picture of a person or a group of people. There are many different types of portraits, like profiles, side profiles, head shots, self portrait, etc. and believe me all of these are difficult to do. Silhouette photos are very common. It usually has the subject in front of a light source so it casts a shadow over the subjects body. Profile shots are also very similar to silhouettes but in a profile the viewer can only see half of the subjects face or one eye of the subject.

Well I bet your wondering how you make these things! You shall wait no more, because I will tell you. First you actually have to take some photos that communicate the message you are trying to communicate whether it's what represents you or a powerful artistic statement. For our assignments we used 3 photos. Now you load your files into a stack in Adobe Photoshop (or whatever design program you're using) and use the dodge tool to white out the background. Next you align your images however you like and crop your image (and make sure to change the picture mode to "screen")! Then you apply as many layer effects as you dream and there you go!


I really tried to incorporate a lot of symbolism into my photo. I took two photos that I thought really represented me. For my first photo in my final is a picture of a pine tree because I feel really connected to the earth and I am a tree hugger :). My second photo is a picture of a cloud because I have always wanted to fly and travel. I want to travel the world and as learn as much as I possibly can in my lifetime. In my practice when we were taking photos we kind of had limited options because we took the photos on campus. I incorporated similar ideas in it with trees and nature all over the place. I think my work was good and I tried really hard on this project to do my best. I could have made them better though by placing my photos more strategically behind my portrait.

Well I hoped you like my post! If you try this I'd love to know how it went in the comments (but you don't have to :). Until later!

17 comments:

  1. I like the way you used the adjustment layers.
    It looks a little abstract.
    I like how your smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks Natur-y but corrupt, I think it looks cool. (practice)
    What's with the shadow? (final)
    I think the first is gooder then the last. (both)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colors.
    I can't really see your two symbols.
    Great Shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your symbols
    But it's kind of hard to see the symbols
    I like your colors

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you blended your photos.
    Your symbols don't really stand out.
    I like the shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the symbols
    The cropping could be better
    I like the colors in your photo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great symbols!
    A little less head room in the front.
    Very colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how your symbols really represent who you are
    Your overall quality could have improved by putting the shadow on the other side of your head
    Your images definitely work

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the story the images tell,
    Symbols are hard to see
    I like the drop shadow

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Your symbols seems to really symbolize you
    2. It's difficult to see your other image
    3. Nice layer adjustment

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great representation of you!
    Your message really worked, even though they were overlapping!
    I think if you separated them, It might have made it a little bit clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's colorful
    You look depressed and kinda hard to see some symbols
    Nice finish quality

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the cloud texture in your images
    but the symbols are a little hard to see
    I like the extra effect

    ReplyDelete
  14. i like the colors
    one of your syimbles are hard to see
    I like the effects

    ReplyDelete
  15. i really like the two pictures you chose and how it symbolize you
    you could have crop it a little better
    I really like the the drop shadow you put in your picture and how it makes it look like its popping out

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like that you had clouds and trees in your multi exposure
    I can't clearly see your message
    trees could have been in the body and the clouds could have gone in your head

    ReplyDelete
  17. My favorite part of the photo are the colors.
    I can't really see two symbols.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete