Monday, February 9, 2015

HDR Photography



Buenas noches (or dias)  beautiful, blissful, brilliant, bold, bright, people who probably have a black bear named Bob (sorry about that last part at the time I wrote this I was very board)! Today I'm writing about a new project we've been working on; HDR photography! Here I'll explain what it is and when your done reading this you'll be an expert!

HDR photography (or High Dynamic Range photography) is a type of photography used to capture better color. Instead of just taking one photo, when doing HDR photography you take take multiple and join them together in a design software such as Adobe Photoshop. Also you take each photo at different exposures to get the best photo you can. I like that when you use HDR photography your final product looks prettier and more professional. But, I don't like how you have to take multiple pictures of something because if you don't want ghosts (blurry spots in your image where the multiple photos overlap).

To create an HDR image there are some steps you must take a number of different photos of the same subject (you have to make sure your camera or subject doesn't move very much to prevent ghosts). For our HDR project, we took seven pictures overall ( I definitely recommend 7 photos by the way :). Then you load all the photos into a design program like Photoshop. Once your there, you edit your photos to be get rid of any ghosts and make it surreal (Or not. Just go with whatever you are trying to achieve and play around with the editing tool!). Then you just save your final picture(s) and you're done! I imagine most of you reading this have a smartphone or camera that has a HDR photo mode. I use this option a lot for taking my pictures and they usually come out with great color! The difference between actual HDR and automatic HDR is, well, how much work you put in to taking your photo(s). With automatic all you to do is take 1 picture and there you go. But, you cant edit it or make it your own. With normal (manual) you have to several pictures and be extra careful but you get a better result.

My thought process for all the photos I take in one word is original. When ever I take a photo I try to capture everything in a different perspective. For my landscape shot I purposely broke the rule of thirds and put the tree in the center of the image. I wanted to incorporate leading lines to the tree so I placed it on a picnic table. Also I really love reflection shots; I loved the way the sky and the building reflected back onto the table! When I was taking my profile shot I again didn't use the rule of thirds. I am officially a rule breaker (yeah not really)! This time I was actually trying to but when I joined all of the pictures together it through it off. I wanted to make it so the viewer was looking at Maddie (my amazing friend who helped me with this) from the point of view of the table. I definitely could could have a lot better in doing this but I think it still gives you the idea.

Well I hoped you enjoyed reading this post about HDR photography! One of my next posts will be about the next stage of our photography projects, Double Exposed Imagery (examples)! Thanks for coming to my blog and I'll write again soon!

22 comments:

  1. Very Surreal!
    The text is placed exactly in the middle and not rule of thirds.
    I like how you tried to place Maddie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super surreal!
    I think it could have better cut out quality.
    I like the text.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super Surreal
    You can hardly see the text
    It looks cool how her hand is resting on the table

    ReplyDelete
  4. the text is transparent
    the text is kinda small
    the cut out is realistic

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that was a good word to describe the picture
    She looks like instead of sitting at the table she looks like she's sitting on the table
    Good rule of thirds

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Surrealism.
    The cutout quality could be better.
    Awesome picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good surrealism.
    I like how you tried to place her sitting at the table... but it dosn't work.
    RULE OF THIRDS IS GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Very surreal
    2. Where you placed Maddi isn't really realistic
    3. Your rule of thirds is on point

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it looks cool!
    But it looks fake.
    Nailed the rule of thirds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. IT ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE SHE IS SITTING BY THE TABLE!!
    I can't really read the text because of where you put it
    Great job overall

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like how it's surreal
    I think that you could've made the text more opaque
    I also like how she's looking at the text

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job
    Could have made the cut out better
    Very surreal

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like where you placed her.
    Your text doesn't pop and you could have put a bright stroke to make it stand out.
    I like how she is looking at the text.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your model is well placed
    The font does not fit
    It takes a bit of time to realize that she is a cut out good job

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the color and your text
    I think your cut out made it look not real
    I really like how surreal it looks

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you made her look like she's leaning on the table!
    I think the text could be improved by changing the color and size and placement.
    Overall, good job. I think you did very good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice letter placement
    Erase the table
    Nice colors

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like how she is rule of thirds
    I think you could have changed the color of your text
    I really like the leading lines

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay Bestie!!! Great portrait subject!
    Need to fix that table thingie.
    Great text placement!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice surrealism
    The placement of your person looks unrealistic
    Awesome leading lines

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like how it looks like her hand is on the table.
    At first, it was hard for me to read your text.
    I really like your experiment!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like how your super impose its so surrealistic and it really cool
    You could have done better by cutting half her body of to sell the look off
    And you did really well on the experiment

    ReplyDelete