Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design

Bonjour à tous! That was French for "Hello everyone!" (My New Year's resolution is to learn a new language even though it's not New Year's yet :) we just finished our new project that required us to design and make our own video game using the Scratch program and it was really fun. Here is more all about it:

Here is my Chase Game...



Description:
The game I designed is simple and easy to play. If you press the up key you go up, down key you go down, left key you go left, and right key you go right. You are guiding Phil the Wizard to all his missing Magical Doughnuts while trying to escape the evil starfish. When you reach 20 doughnuts (I know there are only 10 on the screen, but more come on once you have collected some) you win the game. Enjoy (:D)
----------
When designing a game we learned that you have to look at the game from the point of view of the person playing your game so that it is enjoyable to play. This is called the user experience. The user experience influenced my game in several ways including how the main sprite (Phil the Wizard) moves, the backgrounds I made, and even the sounds my game made. I recorded all the audio myself with the microphone on my computer at home! Also, I tried really hard to make the movements of Phil look (somewhat) natural and I thing I succeeded.

Here is my Platform Game...



Description:
This is a simple Platform game that I designed for my GT class. The way the game works is you use the left arrow to go left, the right arrow to go right, and the space bar to jump to move Mark the Reindeer across the stage and up the platforms to reach his missing muffin. There are two levels and you must get the muffin before the time runs out. Enjoy!
----------
The games I created both have different features that make them stand out. In my Platform Game, I made it so the main sprite Mark the Reindeer was chasing after a muffin to advance in the game. I did a very similar thing with my Chase Game where Phil the Wizard is collecting all his missing doughnuts to win. Something that was different about the games were the controls that you use to move. In my Chase Game, you simply use the arrow keys to maneuver the sprite around the stage, but in my Platform game, you use the space bar to jump and the left and right arrow keys to change direction and move. Another thing that is contrasting about my two games is that in my Platform game I added in a second level rather than the single level of my Chase game.

My doughnut code! (:D)

It is a given that when you code, you are going to mess up or get stuck trying to fix a bug. But, with perseverance you can pull through. While coding my Platform and Chase game, I had both good and bad moments. The best code that I wrote was probably the section of my Chase game were I made the doughnuts appear to be collected and then have them come back 12 seconds later. In that sequence I also recorded the jingle bell sound effects in my room after school. I was really proud of how well they turned out. One of the most difficult things that I coded for our video game projects was most likely creating a gravity generator for my Platform game. There were so many bugs! Eventually I did get it right though because I kept trying and put my best effort into it.



Description:
Hi everyone! This is my finished Freedom game. We had no set requirements for our this game so we were free to code whatever game we wanted. This game is a story-based game in which the Wizard Beardo the Bad takes Tera your best friend. You control Maldark the Wizard and his deathly fireball. To move Maldark, use the arrow keys up to jump, left to go left, and right to go right. To move the fireball, use the J key to go up, K key to go down, N key to go left, and M key to go right. Have fun!

Avoid the evil dragon!

I hope you all enjoyed this post and have a happy holiday season!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I love how fun and challenging your game is! The only problem I faced is maybe that it is a little too challenging, you know? Like the donuts were cloned quite quickly and I found myself growing frustrated trying to get them all. Overall your game was very smooth and I loved the complexity you put into it by chasing AND being chased(-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your wizard sprite and how you made it yourself!! I suggest a timer to make the game a little more challenging, like a beat the clock kind of game. Also, when you hit the starfish it kinda takes a while to lose points but overall great game!! I love the creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the game! It's simple, but really entertaining. I never really had problems while playing, but I feel like just taking away points when the starfish touch you isn't very exciting. If you could make it so the game ends when they touch your character maybe it would be a little more exciting. Other than that small thing, your game is great! I could probably play it for hours on end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your game is simple yet super entertaining! I really like how when the leave switches all of the platforms smoothly move into their next order, great visuals! I didn't really face any challenges when playing the game so the only small thing that I would change is making it a bit more challenging and add more levels. Overall your game was interesting and was very clean and smooth. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your platform game! It was really cool how you showed the platforms moving as the level changed! It added a really cool effect. Although, you might want to work on your gravity engine. You might want to make the sprite fall a little faster, it felt like it was in slow motion. ( http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Simulating_Gravity ) Other than that, you game was really awesome! I especially like how you added text at the end saying that you won.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the concept of the game, the moose trying to get a muffin. For me there was glitch transferring from the first to second level, where I got teleported back when I moved. I also like how smooth your character moves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked that you had the moose try to get the muffin I haven't seen one person do this type of concept yet. I think that you could make the moose be able to drop down if you aren't pressing any of the controllers. I liked that your moose character worked rally smooth and that your platforms changed after the first level. This game was really UNIQUE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your game is very creative and smooth! You probably could have added more levels to make the game a little more challenging for the players. Nice game, it is really fun!

    ReplyDelete